iPhone 5 Battery Life and Charging Problems

• Inactive
        Anonymous on #2864

In mid June when my father upgraded from his iPhone 5 to something else, I received the iPhone.  It has been known to deplete charge quicker than usual, but in the last 3 weeks it has become tremendously worse. It would die at 65% and would turn back on after it was plugged in for 5 sec.  But in the last 5 days it would sit charging for up to 40 minutes then turn on and say “battery at 58%”.  Yesterday morning after dying at 100% it say charging for 2 hours (it eventually turned on), and then last night it sat for 3 hours.  This morning I went to turn it off after it hit 100% (I haven’t powered it off for a couple weeks) and when I went to turn it on it died.  It has been charging for about six and a half hours now and still shows the drained battery icon.  What is the issue and is it correctable?

Thanks!

• Keymaster
        David Payette on #2988

Dear Peregrine,

It sounds like you’re experiencing more than the typical battery-drain issue. I think you may have a hardware problem with your iPhone, and I hope my article about why iPhones turn off when they still have battery life remaining will help. If you need to have your iPhone repaired, iResq.com is a mail-in repair service that does quality repair work. It can be a less-expensive alternative to having your iPhone repaired at an Apple Store.

Thanks for your question and I wish you all the best,
        David P.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • The forum ‘iPhone, iPad, and iPod Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.