The display of your new iPhone X looks a little yellow and you don’t know why. Since the X is the first iPhone to have an OLED display, it’s understandable that you’d be frustrated when the screen looks discolored. In this article, I’ll explain why your iPhone X screen is yellow and show you how to fix the problem.
Why Does My iPhone X Screen Look Yellow?
There are four possible reasons why your iPhone X screen looks yellow:
- True Tone display is turned on.
- Night Shift is turned on.
- You have to adjust the Color Filters on your iPhone.
- Your iPhone’s display is damaged.
The steps below will show you how to diagnose and fix the real reason why your iPhone X screen is yellow!
Turn Off True Tone Display
One of the most common reasons why your iPhone X screen looks yellow is because True Tone is turned on. This new feature is only available on the iPhone 8, 8 Plus, and X.
True Tone uses your iPhone’s sensors to detect ambient light and matches the intensity and color of that light on your iPhone’s display. During the day when there’s more yellowish ambient light, your iPhone X’s screen may look more yellow if True Tone is turned on.
How To Turn Off True Tone Display In The Settings App
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone X.
- Tap Display & Brightness.
- Turn off the switch next to True Tone.
- You’ll know it’s off when the switch is white and positioned to the left.
How To Turn Off True Tone Display In Control Center
- Open Control Center by swiping down from above the upper right-hand corner of the display.
- Press and hold (3D Touch) the vertical display brightness slider.
- Tap the True Tone button to turn it off.
- You’ll know True Tone is off when the icon is white inside of a dark gray circle.
Turn Off Night Shift
Before True Tone display was introduced by Apple, the most common reason why an iPhone display would look yellow was because Night Shift was turned on. Night Shift is a feature that adjusts the colors of your display to make them warmer, which can help you fall asleep after using your iPhone late at night.
How To Turn Off Night Shift
- Swipe down from above the upper right-hand corner of the screen to open Control Center.
- Press and hold (3D Touch) the brightness slider.
- Tap the Night Shift button to turn it off.
- You’ll know Night Shift is off when the icon is white inside a dark gray circle.
Adjust The Color Filters On Your iPhone X
If True Tone and Night Shift are turned off, but your iPhone X screen is still yellow, take a look at the Color Filters on your iPhone X. Color Filters are designed to help people who are colorblind or who have difficulty reading text on the screen.
Open the Settings app and tap Accessibility -> Display & Text Size -> Color Filters. To start using Color Filters, turn on the switch next to Color Filters — you’ll know it’s on when it’s green.
Now that Color Filters has been turned on, you can start messing around with different filters and tints to make your iPhone’s display less yellow. You can use the Hue slider to find a less yellow tone and the Intensity slider to make sure hue isn’t too strong.
Adjusting the tint of your iPhone X’s display takes a bit of trial and error, so be patient and find something that works for you.
Get The Display Repaired
There’s still a possibility that your iPhone X screen is yellow because of a hardware problem or manufacturing defect. If your iPhone has recently been exposed to water or dropped on a hard surface, its internal components may be damaged, which are making its display look yellowish.
If your iPhone X is covered by AppleCare, bring it in to your local Apple Store and have them take a look at it. I recommend scheduling an appointment first, just to make sure someone is available to help you out.
If you’re in a rush, I also recommend an on-demand repair company called Puls. They’ll send a certified technician directly to you who will repair your iPhone X on the spot!
iPhone X Display: Looking Good!
Your iPhone X no longer looks yellow! I hope you’ll share this article on social media to show your family and friends why their iPhone X screen is yellow. If you have any other questions about your new iPhone X, feel free to leave them in the comments section below!