iPod touch 6 heats up when turned on (IOS 9.0.2)

• Inactive
        Anonymous on #2849

My iPod touch 6 heats up every time I turn it on. It doesn’t get so hot that you can’t touch it but you have to let go of it after around 10 minutes. It only gets hot at the top near the camera and I’ve restored it and things like that. It only started heating up a couple of days after I installed IOS 9. If anyone could help me with this problem that would be great.

ps it’s 11 weeks old and I got iOS 9 three weeks ago

• Keymaster
        David Payette on #2981

Hey Maddie,

I think my article about why iPhones get hot will help you. Check it out! It’s called Why Does My iPhone Get Hot?

Thanks for your question and all the best,
        David P.

• Inactive
        Anonymous on #2986

Hi David,

I have already read your article and tried everything on it but nothing seems to work. If I put my iPod in to DFU mode will it possibly work again?

• Keymaster
        David Payette on #2995

Hi Maddie!

I’m sorry to hear my article didn’t help solve your problem. iPods that get unusually hot are usually suffering from a software issue of some kind, and I do believe that’s the case with you. The logic board is very close to the camera on the 6th generation iPod touch, and that’s what does all the processing. If the processor is running at 100% all the time, your iPod can get very hot. If you’re interested in what your iPod looks like on the inside, check out this article on iFixit.com. The logic board is removed in step 8.

Backing up your iPhone to iTunes or iCloud, doing a DFU restore, and restoring from that backup may help you solve the problem with your iPhone. I wrote an article that describes exactly how to do a DFU restore a few days ago.

If you do a DFU restore, restore from a backup, and the problem comes back, the best course of action is this: DFU restore your iPhone again and set it up as a new iPod. It’s a hassle to set up your iPod from scratch, but you can sync your contacts, calendars, and other information when you set up iCloud again. You can redownload everything you’ve purchased from the App Store and the iTunes Store after you sign in with your Apple ID.

I sincerely hope this helps you, and if it doesn’t, a trip to the Apple Store may be in order. Although the chance is slim, a hardware problem can cause this problem. If you do decide do go that route, make sure you make a Genius Bar appointment beforehand so you don’t end up standing around for a while.

Best of luck and thanks again for your question,
        David P.

• Inactive
        Anonymous on #3011

Hi David,

Sorry to bother you again, but when I plugged my iPod into iTunes and put it into DFU mode, iTunes said that it would have to update my iPod to IOS 9.1 when I’ve already downloaded it over the Internet without using iTunes. Now I’m sitting here waiting for it to download and I’ve been waiting for about 1 hour and so far nothing has downloaded or anything. Please help!!!

• Keymaster
        David Payette on #3013

Hey Maddie,

If you’re using a Mac, hold down the Option key when you click Restore or Update and you’ll be able to manually choose the file you downloaded to restore from. If you’re on a PC, hold down Shift while you click Restore or Update to do the same thing.

Happy Thanksgiving!

David P.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • The forum ‘iPhone, iPad, and iPod Help’ is closed to new topics and replies.