Your iPhone 7 Plus isn’t ringing and you’ve been missing important phone calls and texts. This usually isn’t a difficult problem to fix, and I’ll walk you through the troubleshooting process step by step. In this article, I’ll explain why your iPhone 7 Plus is not ringing and show you how to fix the problem so you don’t miss another call or text.
Table Of Contents
How Do I Fix An iPhone 7 Plus That Is Not Ringing?
How To Fix An iPhone 7 Plus That Is Not Ringing
Turn Off Do Not Disturb
When Do Not Disturb is on, all incoming calls, notifications, and alerts will be silenced.
How Do I Turn Off Do Not Disturb?
There are three ways to turn off Do Not Disturb on your iPhone:
Turn Off Do Not Disturb In The Settings App
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Do Not Disturb.
- Use your finger to tap the switch next to Manual.
- You’ll know Do Not Disturb is off when the switch is gray.
Turn Off Do Not Disturb In Control Center
- Swipe up from below the bottom of the screen to open Control Center.
- Use your finger to tap the Do Not Disturb icon, which looks like a moon.
- You’ll know Do Not Disturb is off when the moon icon is black inside a gray circle.
Turn Off Do Not Disturb Using Siri
- Press and hold the Home button to activate Siri.
- Say, “Turn off Do Not Disturb.”
- Siri will respond and let you know that Do Not Disturb is turned off.
- Another way to check if Do Not Disturb is on is to look in the upper right hand corner of your screen. If you see the Do Not Disturb icon next to the battery, then Do Not Disturb is on.
- In the Settings app, you’ll know Do Not Disturb is on when the switch is green.
- In Control Center, you’ll know Do Not Disturb is on when the moon icon is white inside a purple circle.
- If you are having trouble opening Control Center, you probably aren’t swiping up from low enough.
- You can set an automatic Do Not Disturb schedule if you go to Settings -> Do Not Disturb -> Scheduled.
Check Your Ring/Silent Switch
The Ring/Silent switch is used to quickly and easily turn your ringer on and off. If your switch is flipped to silent, your iPhone won’t ring.
How Do I Check My Ring/Silent Switch?
- Take a look at your Ring/Silent switch, which is located on the left side of your iPhone.
- You’ll know the your iPhone is on silent when you see a small, orange line because switch is pulled away from the screen.
- To turn your ringer on, pull the switch towards the screen.
- When you flip the Ring/Silent switch, a notification will appear on the screen of your iPhone indicating that you turned the Ringer on or off.
Turn iPhone Ringer Volume All The Way Up
Even if you’re hearing other sounds on your iPhone, your iPhone may not be ringing because the ringer volume can be set independently from the volume of the other sounds your iPhone. So while the rest of the sounds your iPhone makes may be getting louder because you are turning up the volume of your iPhone, your ringer volume may be stuck on nothing — or very, very low.
How Do I Turn iPhone Ringer Volume All The Way Up?
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap Sounds & Haptics.
- Use your finger to move the slider all the way to the right to turn your ringer volume all the way up.
- If you want to use the volume buttons on the left side of your iPhone to turn up the ringer volume, make sure the switch next you Change with Buttons is turned on. You’ll know the switch is on when it is green.
Inspect Your iPhone's Charging Port (Lightning Port)
You should frequently inspect your Lightning port, also known as the charging port, to make sure it is clean. Lint, gunk, and other debris can prevent your Lightning port from making a solid connection with your Lightning cable.
How Do I Inspect My iPhone's Charging Port (Lightning Port)?
- Use a flashlight to see if there is lint, gunk, or any other debris in your iPhone’s Lightning port.
- If you find debris in your iPhone’s Lightning port, gently brush it out with a new toothbrush or anti-static brush.
- Do not brush out your device with anything that will conduct an electric charge or damage the electronics in the bottom of your device.
- The Lightning cable has nine connectors. If any one of those connectors is blocked by debris, your device may not charge at all.
Explore Repair Option 1: Apple
Apple repairs iPhones at the Genius Bar in Apple Stores and through their online mail-in repair service. Apple repairs are high-quality, but out-of-warranty repairs can be much more expensive than third-party solutions. If you’re looking to save some money you’re not covered by Apple’s warranty, you may want to check out our other recommendations.
How Do I Explore Repair Option 1: Apple?
How To Repair Your iPhone With Apple’s Mail-In Service
- Visit Apple’s support website to begin the online mail-in repair process.
- Alternatively, call 1-800-MY-APPLE (1-800-692-7753) to set up a repair.
How To Repair Your iPhone At The Genius Bar Inside Your Local Apple Store
- Visit Apple’s website to make a Genius Bar appointment before you go into the store. Apple Stores are extremely busy, and if you don’t have an appointment, you may have to wait for hours or end up being turned away. (Editor’s note: I’m a former Apple tech and we’re not exaggerating — please, do yourself a favor and make an appointment first!)
- When you arrive, go to the Genius Bar to check in for your appointment.
- Genius Bar appointments always include free diagnosis. If you’re under warranty, many repairs can be done on the spot, but it all depends upon which parts are in stock. If you’re not under warranty, the Genius will give you a quote for the cost of a repair.
- If you’re not sure whether your iPhone is still under warranty, you can find out on Apple’s website.
- Apple repairs are covered by a 90-day AppleCare warranty.
- If you’ve ever used a 3rd-party service to repair your iPhone, or if you’ve ever replaced a part of your iPhone with a non-Apple part, then the Apple Store may not repair your iPhone. (Shhhh!)
- In some cases, Apple will not repair devices that are older than five years old. These devices are classified as vintage or legacy.
Explore Repair Option 2: PulsPuls-Select-iPhone.jpg"> Puls-Select-iPhone-model.jpg"> Puls-Select-iPhone-color.jpg"> Puls-Select-repair.jpg"> Puls-select-repair-date.jpg"> Puls-fill-out-contact-info.jpg">
Tap to enlarge
Puls is a “we come to you” iPhone repair service that will meet you at your home, office, or Starbucks to repair your iPhone in as little as 30 minutes. Every Puls repair is backed by a lifetime warranty and their prices tend to be a lot less than Apple’s.
Puls repairs broken iPhone screens, batteries, speakers, cameras, charging ports, and more. The only drawback at this point is that Puls isn’t available everywhere (they’re mostly in major US cities).
How Do I Explore Repair Option 2: Puls?
- Visit the Puls website.
- Select iPhone by clicking on the box with an image of an iPhone.
- Select the model of your iPhone.
- Select the color of your iPhone.
- Select the repair you need completed, fill out any additional information you want the technician to know, then click the button that says “Total Cost: $x ->”
- Select the date and time you want the repair to be completed, then click on the button that says “Tell Us Where ->”
- Fill out your contact information.
- Click the button that says “Submit My Request”
- Every Puls technician has passed a background check.
Explore Repair Option 3: iResQ
iResQ is a high-quality mail-in repair service that offers a wide variety of repair options, including some smaller repairs that Apple won’t do at all. Their repairs can cost a lot less than Apple.
How Do I Explore Repair Option 3: iResQ?
- Go to iResq’s website.
- Scroll over iPhone Repair.
- Select the Repair Service you want to have completed and proceed to checkout.
- Every iResQ repair is covered by a 90-day warranty.
Your iPhone 7 Plus Is Ringing Again!
Your iPhone 7 Plus is ringing again and you’re reconnected to the outside world. This is a very common problem, and even though the solution seems simple, it’s not always apparent. The good news is once you know why an iPhone 7 Plus is not ringing, it only takes a few seconds to fix. Thanks for reading, and if this article helped you, please share it with your friends! Feel free to leave us a comment below with your thoughts or if you have any follow-up questions — we’re happy to help!