You’re trying to read the fine print on an important document, but you’re having a little bit of difficulty. Apple’s Magnifier tool allows you get an up close look at things you’re having trouble seeing. In this article, I’ll answer the question, “What is Magnifier on an iPhone?”, as well as show you how to turn Magnifier on and how to use it!
What Is Magnifier On An iPhone?
Magnifier is an Accessibility tool that turns your iPhone into a magnifying glass. Magnifier is especially useful for the visually impaired, who may have a hard time reading small text in a book or pamphlet.
You can access Magnifier in the Settings app, or by adding it to Control Center if your iPhone is running iOS 11.
How To Turn On Magnifier In The Settings App On iPhone
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap General.
- Tap Accessibility.
- Tap Magnifier.
- Tap the switch next to Magnifier to turn it on. You’ll know the switch is on when it is green.
- To open Magnifier, triple-click the circular Home button.
How To Add Magnifier To Control Center On An iPhone
- Begin by opening the Settings app.
- Tap Control Center.
- Tap Customize Controls, which will take to Control Center customization menu.
- Scroll down and tap the green plus button next to Magnifier to add it to Control Center.
How To Use Magnifier On An iPhone
Now that you’ve turned on Magnifier in the Settings app or added it to Control Center, it’s time to get magnifying. Triple-click the Home button if you turned on Magnifier in the Settings app, or tap the Magnifier icon in Control Center if you’ve added it there.
When you do, you’ll be taken to the Magnifier, which looks similar to the Camera app. You’ll see six main things:
- A preview of area your iPhone is zooming in on.
- A slider that lets you zoom in or out.
- A Lightning bolt icon that toggles the flash on and off.
- A lock icon that turns yellow once you’ve selected an area to focus on.
- Three overlapping circles in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, which lets you adjust color and brightness settings.
- A circular button, which you can press to take a “picture” of the area that you’re magnifying.
Note: By default, this image is not saved to the Photos app on your iPhone.
How To Save A Picture Taken Using Magnifier
- Press the circular button in Magnifier to take a picture of the area.
- With one finger, press and hold any area of the picture.
- A small menu will appear, giving you the option to Save Image or Share.
- Tap Save Image to save the picture to the Photos app on your iPhone.
Note: The image won’t be saved as it appears in Magnifier. You’ll have to zoom in on the image in the Photos app.
How To Turn On Flash In Magnifier On An iPhone
Just like in the Camera app, you can turn on flash in Magnifier to illuminate the area you want to get a closer look at. First, open Magnifier in Control Center or by triple-pressing the Home button.
Then, tap the flash button (look for the lightning bolt) in the lower left-hand corner of the screen. You’ll know flash is on when the flash button turns yellow and the light on the back of your iPhone begins to shine.
How To Focus In Magnifier On An iPhone
You can also focus on a specific area in Magnifier, just like you can in the Camera app. To do this, tap the area of the screen you want Magnifier to focus on.
A small, yellow square will briefly appear in the area you tapped and the lock button at the bottom of your iPhone’s display will turn yellow.
How To Adjust Color And Brightness Settings In Magnifier On Your iPhone
Adjusting the color and brightness in Magnifier can make the images you take look really, really cool. There are a number of different settings and features, and we’ll briefly describe each one of them. To find these settings, tap the three overlapping in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. You’ll know you’re in the right menu when the button turns yellow.
Explaining The Magnifier Brightness And Color Settings
There are a two sliders and a number of color filters you can use in Magnifier. We recommend playing around with these features yourself because, in our opinion, a picture is worth a thousands words! Here’s a quick sentence or two about each of the settings:
- The slider next to the sun icon adjusts the brightness. The further you drag this slider to the right, the brighter the Magnifier image becomes.
- The circle that’s half black and half white adjusts the black and white settings.
- The icon in the lower left-hand corner of the screen with two arrows and two squares inverts the colors of the image.
- At the top of the editor brightness and color setting in magnifier, you’ll see many different color filters. You can swipe left or right to try a different color setting. Down below, you’ll see an image I created using Magnifier on an iPhone.
Magnifier On An iPhone: Explained!
You’re officially a Magnifier expert and you won’t struggle trying to read tiny text ever again. Now that you know what Magnifier is and how to use it on an iPhone, make sure to share this article on social media with your friends and family! Thanks for reading, and feel free to leave us a comment down below.
All the best,